Friday, March 18, 2011

Darning Socks



I have been a knitting slug for the past few months. The only thing I have knit since I put my 2-at-a-time-toe-up socks project on hiatus is a four foot long deep purple scarf with white fringe, knitted with No.17 straight needles and worsted weight acrylic yarn.

Now I have another project waiting for me to work on it: darning the first pair of wool socks I made. They were my first pair of socks, and I did not know enough to add some nylon thread reinforcement to the heels when I was knitting them, so now one sock has a hole in the heel, and the other sock has a thin place in the heel.

I patched the hole in the heel before I washed the socks. Then I put them in a nylon net bag and washed them in the washing machine on Cold/Cold. The next step is rip out my temporary patch, and do some darning. For the thin spot in the heel of the one sock, I think I can use a techniques called Duplicate Stitch, aka Swedish Darning to repair it. For the hole, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to repair it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment