Thursday, February 18, 2010

Training Sock No. 1

I think that most people who learn how to knit start with projects that are flat and done in garter stitch. Potholders, dishcloths, and scarves are favorite beginner projects. Theoretically, my first project was also flat; but measuring 6.5 by 2 inches, and knitted with jute twine really doesn't count as a knitting project. It was more like a sample.

My very first knitting project was the Training Sock by Kate Atherley. I was so eager to learn how to knit socks that I just skipped over all the traditional beginning knitter projects and jumped right into my first sock. I used the gray wool yarn that had been gifted to me (thank you Ann).

The first obstacle to overcome when learning how to knit is learning how to read a knitting pattern. At first, a knitting pattern looks very difficult. However, the first thing to learn is that every complex instruction in a knitting pattern can be broken down into simpler instructions. The very first step is to read the pattern.

My modus operandi for learning how to knit, and for knitting the Training Sock was:

1. read Kate’s Training Sock pattern,
2. look up the abbreviation(s) in a Knitting Glossary,
3. Google search the stitch or technique I needed to learn,
4. read tutorials and watch a video or two or three,
5. practice a wee bit,
6. then apply it to the Training Sock.

The most helpful video tutorial sites were:

1. KnittingHelp.Com
2. YouTube

I had to learn everything from scratch, from how to hold the yarn and needles to cast-on, join, k1 p1 ribbing, stockinette stitch (knit every round on dpns), short row heel turn (easier than I thought it would be), pick-up stitches, decreasing gussets (k2tog, p2tog, ssk, psso - again, easier than I thought it would be), and weaving in the loose ends. I made my own tapestry needle from a bamboo chopstick for weaving the loose ends in.

Here are some pix of Training Sock No. 1 being knitted:

The cuff on 3 dpns.


The heel flap with the heel turn completed.


Knitting the foot of the sock.


Knitting the gusset.


The finished sock.

I didn’t know that I was knitting the sock inside out until after I was finished. I found out that this is a typical beginner’s mistake. However, that was my biggest, most visible mistake. I was able to follow the rest of the pattern well enough to finish the sock without making too many other large boo-boos. Remeber: even the most complex instructions can be broken down into simpler instructions.

I fudged the finish of the toe when I tried to do a Kitchener Stitch to close it. The sock ended up with a big hole in the toe. I was able to repair it by turning the sock inside-out, putting a golf ball in the toe, then doing some sock darning.


Even with all the mistakes I made, I feel this was quite an accomplishment. I learned how to knit by knitting a sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment