Thursday, March 4, 2010

Getting Started Knitting Socks - Part 3 - Leg


I have finished the cuff and the leg of each sock. The cuffs are 3 inches, at 5 sts per row, or 15 rows. The legs are about four inches, or 31 rows. I will thread a lifeline into the loops before I commence with the heel flap. Up until now, I was knitting with 4 DPNs. I just switched to knitting with 5 DPNs after reading that there is less of a chance of ladders developing at the joints where the needles meet. I can already feel the difference. Socks have structure. These are the 5 Stitches Per Inch Basic Sock, knitted on US 9 bamboo chopstick needles. On the legs I'm getting about 5 sts by 7 rows per square inch in St st, so far.

The next step is the Heel. The instructions for the Heel are: K12, turn work around and with same needle, p24 - 24 heel sts on one needle. Place rem 24 sts on spare needle(s) or holder to work later for instep.



Once those two rows are completed, the Heel Flap is next:
Work back and forth on heel sts in rows as foll:
Row 1: (RS) *Sl 1 pwise with yarn in back (wyb), k1; rep from *.
Row 2: Sl1 pwise with yarn in front (wyf), purl to end.
Rep Rows 1 and 2 until a total of 24 rows have been worked - 12 chain selvedge sts.


In the past, when doing the Training Socks, I had trouble remembering to slip the first stitch. This time around, I'm going to remember to do it. It makes it so much easier to pick-up stitches later, for the gusset decrease.

So far, I've knitted 48 CO sts, plus 48 sts X 15 rows of cuff, plus 48 sts X 30 rows of leg, for a total of 2208 sts X 2 socks, or 4416 sts, not counting correcting mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment